Is Your Home Ready To Paint?
Painting the exterior of your home may seem like an easy job. After all, you just need several cans of paint, a paint roller,and a paintbrush to do the job, right? You don’t need a pro to do it for you! Well, that’s what a good number of homeowners think until they take on the job and find out how challenging a home painting job really is.
If you’re still not convinced that this home renovation project is best left for the exterior painting services experts, here are some factors you need to consider before you decide if you are willing to try the DIY approach or let the pros do it for you.
Painting the Home Exterior: 6 Factors to Consider
Type and Features of the House
Not all houses require the same amount of work and/or expertise. Some houses are comparatively easier to paint while others can be a little bit more complicated. Generally, exterior painting services professionals recommend leaving older, taller and more ornate homes to the experts since they require specialized tools and the right skills to do it.
Older homes that need to be preserved also require special consideration. Not all paints are compatible with legacy building materials so you may need to do extensive research and spend time doing the prep work to avoid ruining your home. For homes built before 1978, there is a possibility that they may have used lead paint. Are you sure you can deal with it?
One-story ramblers or ranch homes may be easier to tackle but if you really want to do it right, you should seriously consider getting a professional paint job. More on this later.
There are a number of issues that may require extensive prep work. Be prepared to roll up your sleeves and do a lot of sanding and scraping if you see signs of wood rot, mildew, and severe peeling. You may also need to do some caulking if you have cracked window panes and loose trim pieces. Do you honestly have the time and the skills to do it?
The ground around the house should also be given due consideration. It’s okay if you have flat, even ground all around. But what if you don’t? What if you have a sloping or uneven ground? You’ll probably need a scaffold, specialty ladders, anchoring systems, and a safety harness to reduce or eliminate the risk of injury. You wouldn’t want to suffer a nasty fall just to save some money, would you?
Also, you shouldn’t think about taking the DIY approach if you have trees and shrubs along the perimeter of the house.
Tools and Materials
Each painting project is unique and may require different tools and materials. If you have a multi-story house, a ladder may not be enough. You may need to buy or rent scaffolding and planks or a lift. Likewise, you’ll need a power washer in cleaning exterior surfaces, a disc grinder or sanding tool, a paint spray gun, and an air compressor, to name a few.
Personal Skills and Experience
Painting a house exterior is not a job for the uninitiated or the faint of heart. It may look like an easy job but it isn’t. You need to know the proper painting techniques and correctly estimate your paint needs. You also need the physical strength and stamina to carry it through.
It is so easy to underestimate how much time is needed in painting the home exterior. Basically, you need to devote 30% to 50% of your time doing prep work. Proper surface preparation determines the success of the project so don’t skimp on it. If you can’t devote enough time for the project, it’s time to reconsider your option.
Why Should You Hire an Exterior Painting Services Expert?
There are a lot of good reasons why you should put away your DIY cap and turn on the pros for home renovation projects such as these.
- Painting the exterior of your home will take a huge chunk of your time, especially if you don’t have enough experience. Professional painters do this for a living so they will complete the project in less time.
- Professional painters have the right skills and can deliver great results. They also have the right tools for the job.
- You don’t have to worry about the prep work. Professional painters know what they are doing. They know that the success of the project largely depends on the prep work so they won’t skip it.
- Reputable exterior painting services companies offer a warranty and a satisfaction guarantee.
Hiring a Professional Painter: 4 Tips to Get the Right Man for the Job
Painting matters. It can enhance the aesthetic value of the house and improve curb appeal, provide better protection against the elements and proactively address pest damage, increase the lifespan of the siding, and significantly increase the value of your home. With these in mind, you need to hire the best professional painter in town for the job. Here are some tips that can help you accomplish this goal.
- Ask for recommendations. The best source of information are the people who have recently undertaken similar projects so ask if they can recommend someone for the job.
- Set up a meeting. Meet with a potential contractor to discuss the project thoroughly. A good contractor should be knowledgeable and have enough experience in the industry. Also, don’t forget to check references, reviews, and ratings.
- Get an estimate. You can get a general estimate over the phone but to get a more accurate estimate, the contractor will have to take a look at the project area and ask a few questions. As a general rule, the project cost will depend on the size of the home and the amount of work required.
- Understand the warranty and guarantee policy. To avoid any misunderstandings, make sure you know the scope of the project and the warranty and guarantee policy offered by the contractor.
Looking for an Exterior Painting Services Expert? We’ve Got You Covered!
Painting your home exterior is not a job for an amateur. It takes an expert to get the results you want so let out two decades of experience work for you. No matter what the size, we’re ready to take on your project.
At Four Seasons Painting, you can expect to get a long-lasting solution for all your painting needs. You can rely on us to give you the quality of work your home deserves at a price you can afford. Out A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau and Angie’s List speaks for the level of craftsmanship, service, and value we provide so Contact Us at 678-201-0384 and let’s start working on your project today!